Real Estate Reflections
A Look Back at an Amazing Mid-Century Modern Home in West Seattle
I can’t believe it has already been six months since we helped our clients sell their amazing Mid-Century Modern home in West Seattle. The new residents are no doubt enjoying the summer sunshine and swimming pool, and I thought it’d be a great time to take a look back at the five things we did differently to command results.
- When preparing to list a home for sale, it is key to move around the property with a discerning eye to identify what might potentially deter a buyer. In this case, we worked with the sellers to make minor updates, including a fresh coat of paint, then added a few accessories to craft a more inviting atmosphere. A lot of people overlook landscaping, but it’s just as important as the interior! A lush, green lawn and fresh flowers can go a long way! At the end of the day, you want to ensure the property is something people will want to come home to.
- Rather than hiring a residential real estate photographer, we went with a professional who specializes in architectural photography. They played with taking photos at different times of the day—capturing some truly stunning golden hour shots—and took a more artistic approach that shied away from the typical sunshiny, bright photos that are found in other listings. We thought of the home as it appears throughout the day; as a transition in ensemble from day to evening, to truly capture its magic.
- Though our sellers did not require it, we elected to only offer showings by appointment, which helped us keep the home in top showing mode. Prior to a showing, we walked through the home with attention to all five senses: opening windows on warmer days to let a breeze move through the house, removing fingerprints from granite and marble, playing music through the sound system to set the tone—no detail was overlooked. The time of day the potential buyer visited was also a key consideration, and we often invited them to come at sunset to take in the incredible views.
- Once the stage was set for the perfect showing, we tailored the luxury home experience to them, moving through the home to provide a thorough walkthrough. We explained all of the finishes and appointments, discussed the architecture, and even showed them how to use the technology integrated throughout the home so they could understand the home and envision themselves living in it.
- Never underestimate the power of stellar research in the selling process. Prior to listing the home, we researched other properties that sold in the neighborhood, analyzed school and other community statistics, and looked at off-market comparables to price the home right.
Together, these five ingredients melded together and the home sold just above list price after only eleven days on the market.
Considering making your next move? Learn more about my real estate services >>